Laying the field - what am I doing wrong?

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
marky77

Hi I watched a few videos on laying the field and it seemed like a good strategy so gave it a go.
I only used £1 stakes however by the end of the day I'd lost approx £30.

One video said you lay all the field at odds of anywhere between 1.5 to 2 and keep in play, and as long as at least 3 match you should be into profit.
Others (including Pete's) said lay at 3.

I found that using odds as suggested, not everything was matching in play, so layed at 4's.

My Guardian Rule is to lay the field at 5 mins before the off & keep in play, Fixed Odds £1 at 4.

Have I just been unlucky or am I doing something wrong or fundamentally not understanding something?

Thanks
Dallas

To profit from laying the field the number of runners you need to be matched depends on your odds

If 2 runners were matched at 2.0 you'd break even, if 3 matched at 3.0 you'd break even and so on

So to make a profit laying at odds below 2.0 you will need 2 or more runners to be matched, (the lower the odds below the more you make but harder it is to get two matched)

To make a profit laying at odds below 3.0 you will need 3 or more runners to be matched, (the lower the odds below the more you make but harder it is to get three matched)

to make a profit laying at odds below 4.0 you will need 4 or more runners to be matched, (the lower the odds below the more you make but harder it is to get four matched)

and so on
marky77

Ah - Got you.
I will experiment a bit more - but maybe in practice mode :-)

Thanks
grimm

marky77 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:11 pm
Ah - Got you.
I will experiment a bit more - but maybe in practice mode :-)

Thanks
If is less than 8 runner then lay the field is not very good at my end. I normally use on 8+ runner with odds 1.80 using betangel manual tab. As you can select odds and stake and press bet on last minute if they close to finish.
andy28

A cheaper way to do it is to use automation with a signal that shows up on your log, set it to trigger at 1.5 (or whatever you want) and when each horse hits those odds it will be displayed in your log.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”