Uninterruptible power supply

A place to discuss anything.
freddy

Anyone recommend which one to buy ?,

only need it to take care of one P.C and router,
and only needs to keep them alive for 10 mins or so.
JollyGreen

freddy wrote:Anyone recommend which one to buy ?,

only need it to take care of one P.C and router,
and only needs to keep them alive for 10 mins or so.
You need to know the power consumption of your PC and router combined before you can determine which UPS. The UPS has to power it's own inverter via DC batteries so with no load a typical 2000VA UPS would run for approx 8 hours(rough guesstimate). That sounds great but as soon as you add a load the time decays quickly hence the need to know the power consumption of the PC/router
Euler

I used to have one but now just use a laptop and a 3G connection. That has proved perfectly acceptable in practice for a few years.
lewismbet

If possible would probably be better to adopt the 3G and laptop route as the problem could be that while your PC has a UPS what else in your house/street does not have a back-up.

someone else may be able to confirm however I feel it is more likely that a 3g transmitter will be in operation within range than your internet connection still working if there is a major power outage.
freddy

I do have a laptop with 3g that i use for backup and i agree it's the best way forward.

i just wanted a ups for my desktop as where i live the power often goes off for a few seconds and then comes back on again and it a pain to have to restart pc and router just for that lost second.

prob just try a cheap one like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/APC-BE400-UK-Ba ... B000GL19BW

hopfully it will keep everyting going for a few mins at least :) .

thanks for your help
JollyGreen

I see that one doesn't have USB or a warning on the PC. If I were you I would shell out the extra £9 for the ES550 UPS

It will give you an extra 150VA and more functionality.
andyfuller

I haven't used one of these but was reading about UPS before and I read that the fans on them can be quite noisy so keep that in mind if noise is an issue for you.

If you buy one let us know how you get on with it.
freddy

JollyGreen wrote:I see that one doesn't have USB or a warning on the PC. If I were you I would shell out the extra £9 for the ES550 UPS

It will give you an extra 150VA and more functionality.
yeah prob go with that one then
cheers
freddy

andyfuller wrote:I haven't used one of these but was reading about UPS before and I read that the fans on them can be quite noisy so keep that in mind if noise is an issue for you.

If you buy one let us know how you get on with it.
Not too botherd as long as it not like a jet engine :lol:

will let you know how i get on
nicrag9

I have a couple of belkin UPSs, at work, they are pretty much silent, except when the power is off when they beep every few seconds, you can install software to turn the pc off if needed. I think they were about £80 each, a few years ago. Each one runs a pc, monitor, couple of switches, and one also runs a file server, they both seem to be able to work for a few minutes at that power level, I calculated it would be about 15 minutes.

Return to “General discussion”