Today's Horse Racing

The sport of kings.
MAGTRADEUK

Well I thought I would mix it up a bit.
I thought that pre race horse race trading was really about bots or money moving prices! Could never see why they moved the way they did, when they did. I still think pre race is still more about numbers and bots etc, Money in the market, ok so, if 1000 people back and lay £500 through the market thats £500,000 correct? I thought that maybe the number matched could just be same money making up the volume and people with good bots, and better maths than mine playing the game with numbers as you dont need to know anything about horses. I have tried this theory since racing restarted back in June, and it does just not work for me.

So today, I thought, you know what why not go back to backing or laying in play using the "feel" I have for racing!

Well **** me, what a difference............

I am bias mind as I have punted horses on and off for years, but that pre race stuff was starting to do my head in...... so I know what I will do from now on................ GLA
to75ne

trading is about low risk, not taking large risks, thats the difference - not large risks with large swings in pand l, small (relatively to stakes) profits and loss.
Korattt

just sneezed & think I’ve torn a muscle around my ear, worse than that it cost me £24 😂
Euler

That feature race was wild!
MAGTRADEUK

to75ne wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:20 pm
trading is about low risk, not taking large risks, thats the difference - not large risks with large swings in pand l, small (relatively to stakes) profits and loss.
totally agree, but seen far too many swings from low to high and vice versa straight out of the blue with 5 or 4 mins to go, each to their own really, but dont see the point of constantly doing somehting it that does not work, if something works stick with it ... GLA
MAGTRADEUK

to75ne wrote:
To be honest, trading is about being on the right side of it, now matter how big / small the stakes if your constantly wrong side you constantly lose ........... GLA
to75ne

MAGTRADEUK wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:25 pm
to75ne wrote:
To be honest, trading is about being on the right side of it, now matter how big / small the stakes if your constantly wrong side you constantly lose ........... GLA
if you constantly lose while trading you should only have a very slow draw down or your bank" , whereas outright backing or laying, big drawdowns - busted banks.

if your trading and constantly losing then you probably will never be any any good at it, its all about managing risk, thats it in a nutshell.
MAGTRADEUK

to75ne wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:29 pm
MAGTRADEUK wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:25 pm
to75ne wrote:
if you constantly lose while trading you should only have a very slow draw down or your bank" , whereas outright backing or laying, big drawdowns - busted banks.

if your trading and constantly losing then you probably will never be any any good at it, its all about managing risk, thats it in a nutshell.
? but if your trading in play, then you are against the run of play, if you are trading pre race then the risk you run is market players moving the price? if I back or lay £5 pounds pre race then I cant see the underlying asset I am trading on only what others "feel" i.e. its a derivative it can move 5 or 10 ticks for a reason but maybe not what I can see. But if I back or lay £5 in play then I know my risk and I can see what the physical asset is doing, I have the option to take a loss or profit on the movement of my asset as I can see how the "physical" asset is performing.

Pre race trading is purely subjective and I would say is similar to trading a derivative in financials, whereas when the horse or whatever is in play its the (physical) performance of that asset that is being traded.

Personally, and looking back at performance statistics ... I may just stick to in play. All a case of whatever floats your boat I suppose.

GLA
Snaff

Anyone else find this afternoon’s markets pretty poor for a Saturday? Ascot not bad but wincanton and haydock felt like a Monday.... In fact I’d say the whole week has felt very hit and miss.
beermonsterman

Not sure I was at work my automation never triggered so I would assume it was not a good Saturday as I would of expected
MAGTRADEUK

Snaff wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:40 pm
Anyone else find this afternoon’s markets pretty poor for a Saturday? Ascot not bad but wincanton and haydock felt like a Monday.... In fact I’d say the whole week has felt very hit and miss.
Perversely enough I had a quite reasnable Saturday once I deployed another tactic.
Snaff

Glad some of you managed to get a bit out of it. Just seemed very erratic for a Saturday.
stueytrader

to75ne wrote:
Depends on whether you focus on swing or scalp based approaches though. If you are aiming to find big swings in trading then the risk goes up.
beermonsterman

Great start to the day :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
to75ne

stueytrader wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:47 pm
to75ne wrote:
Depends on whether you focus on swing or scalp based approaches though. If you are aiming to find big swings in trading then the risk goes up.
only if you dont cut out if the swing goes against you and you sit and hold hoping it will turn.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”