US Presidential Election 2020

Punting on politics
Post Reply
jamesg46
Posts: 2171
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:05 pm

Trader Pat wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:22 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:40 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:23 pm


I'm by no means perfect but I'm very grateful that I don't suffer from the affliction of gullibility
Most people do, they're just unaware, especially the left... I mean dont get me wrong, im not left or right leaning... but instantly you have to be more susceptible to gullibility if you're not conservative.

Anyway, I'm not sure how many times I have to explain it before it soaks in, but just because I write something doesn't mean I believe it to be fact. The reason I'm interested is because (if/could/may) have an impact on market activity.
Wasn't having a go at you James I was quoting Derek and you happened to be part of the quote. Sorry if it it came across as an attack on you.

Interesting idea though, if we're still talking about America how can the left be more gullible than the right? The right is where the evangelicals live, they make up about 25% of the electorate and you won't find a more gullible group of people than them. The right is where most of Fox News viewers come from and they've pedaled rubbish for years and have the highest viewership and ratings. Then there's right wing radio stations and YouTube channels that deal in conspiracy theories and worse.

There are obviously gullible people on both sides who believe what they want but its hard to make a case that the left is more gullible than the right.
I didn't think you were attacking me... I think we understand each others character. Taking offence to you would be like taking offence to Derek (which a lot of people do) but when you get to know his character a bit more you start to realise that generally he's just being Derek.

I want to respond to your second part in more depth but I was confusing Liberal & Conservative with Left & Right, which in general im assuming is the assumption.

Anyway, what I meant by it is the definition in the screen shots above. The rest of what you say is a whole other debate, one I'd have very little chance of winning.
User avatar
Derek27
Posts: 10014
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

Trader Pat wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:22 pm
There are obviously gullible people on both sides who believe what they want but its hard to make a case that the left is more gullible than the right.
Especially when Trump claims to have won the election "by a lot" and tens of millions of Republicans believe him. :lol:
User avatar
Derek27
Posts: 10014
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

jamesg46 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:37 pm
Anyway, what I meant by it is the definition in the screen shots above.
Being accepting of other peoples views and open to new ideas is far removed from being gullible. Gullibility is more believing and jumping into the camp.
jamesg46
Posts: 2171
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:05 pm

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:27 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:37 pm
Anyway, what I meant by it is the definition in the screen shots above.
Being accepting of other peoples views and open to new ideas is far removed from being gullible. Gullibility is more believing and jumping into the camp.
"More susceptible" was what I used & I stick by it. If you're more open you're certainly more susceptible.... most likely more successful too.
verance
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:59 am

https://betting.betfair.com/politics/us ... 0-204.html

The Exchange was briefly suspended at [17:00] this afternoon (Nov 27) to clear unmatched bets. It has now reopened for customers to trade their positions.
Did anybody else have unmatched bets that were cancelled? Seems to me all the big chunks laying the 1000s weren't cancelled (or at least they were all back up by 5.30 Friday evening when I checked)?
User avatar
Naffman
Posts: 4667
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:46 am

Trump legal campaign speaking in AZ now, last time they had a hearing the market moved a few ticks.
jamesg46
Posts: 2171
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:05 pm

Naffman wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:08 pm
Trump legal campaign speaking in AZ now, last time they had a hearing the market moved a few ticks.
:D
jamesg46
Posts: 2171
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:05 pm

Market looks packed solid.... hardly suprised though, OAN is hardly main stream. Where did you watch it?
User avatar
Derek27
Posts: 10014
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

jamesg46 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:37 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:27 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:37 pm
Anyway, what I meant by it is the definition in the screen shots above.
Being accepting of other peoples views and open to new ideas is far removed from being gullible. Gullibility is more believing and jumping into the camp.
"More susceptible" was what I used & I stick by it. If you're more open you're certainly more susceptible.... most likely more successful too.
Sorry to be a contrary pain in the arse but you're not more susceptible either. You might be more 'exposed' to bullshit. But so are farm workers - doesn't make them more likely to take it home with them. :)
jamesg46
Posts: 2171
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:05 pm

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:02 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:37 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:27 pm

Being accepting of other peoples views and open to new ideas is far removed from being gullible. Gullibility is more believing and jumping into the camp.
"More susceptible" was what I used & I stick by it. If you're more open you're certainly more susceptible.... most likely more successful too.
Sorry to be a contrary pain in the arse but you're not more susceptible either. You might be more 'exposed' to bullshit. But so are farm workers - doesn't make them more likely to take it home with them. :)
You can be a contrary pain in the arse all you like Derek, I think I'd be concerned you had been forumnapped and an imposter had take your place if you weren't contrary. Also, I don’t mind your opinion, be it or not different or we agree or disagree. I'm not here to kiss arse, especially yours and I think I can expect that you're not here for that reason either.... although its nice that we haven't turned into children squabbling yet.

BTW, still stand by my comment :D
Post Reply

Return to “Trading Politics”