Betfair Down / Betfair site crash

Post Reply
User avatar
jamesedwards
Posts: 2532
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:16 pm

Bobajob wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:06 pm
jamesedwards wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:41 pm
Bobajob wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:13 pm

I'm puzzled - your triggers were still working and Wilf lost £140 ?
Log file shows last prices for Birdman Bob was 8.8 at the time of suspension

20/11/2023 14:20:02: [G_Auto 1] : Store Value (Shared) for Birdman Bob: BP = 8.8

20/11/2023 14:20:02: Market has been suspended

The market wasn't unsuspended - so how were your triggers still working ?
The prices weren't updating through into Bet Angel so weren't reflecting the real prices available. So although BA said Birdman Bob was 8.8 through to suspension it wasn't really that price. It was no-offers by at least half a furlong out.

20/11/2023 14:19:09: [G_Auto 1] : Store Value (Shared) for market: market_metres_to_finish = 112.1 = 112
20/11/2023 14:19:09: Back bet placed on Birdman Bob at 1.01. Entirely unmatched when it initially reached the market.
Looks like Betfair data froze 8 secs after race started 14:15:33

20/11/2023 14:15:41: [G_Auto 1] : Store Value (Shared) for Birdman Bob: BP = 8.8

Which brings me back to my original question - how come your triggers were still working when the data was not changing unless TPD was doing it which I assume was still working - and how does my log file make no ref to Birdman Bob at 1.01 and your log file does ?
It was a manual trigger, not based on price. TPD data was still flowing. From what I could see it was purely price and matched bet data that froze. Yours is a Bet Angel stored value so will reflect the frozen prices that Bet Angel was showing. Mine was an actual bet placed at 1.01 which was left unmatched when it hit the market because the real price at that moment was no-offers.
User avatar
Bobajob
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun May 21, 2023 9:13 pm

jamesedwards wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:14 pm
Bobajob wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:06 pm
jamesedwards wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:41 pm


The prices weren't updating through into Bet Angel so weren't reflecting the real prices available. So although BA said Birdman Bob was 8.8 through to suspension it wasn't really that price. It was no-offers by at least half a furlong out.

20/11/2023 14:19:09: [G_Auto 1] : Store Value (Shared) for market: market_metres_to_finish = 112.1 = 112
20/11/2023 14:19:09: Back bet placed on Birdman Bob at 1.01. Entirely unmatched when it initially reached the market.
Looks like Betfair data froze 8 secs after race started 14:15:33

20/11/2023 14:15:41: [G_Auto 1] : Store Value (Shared) for Birdman Bob: BP = 8.8

Which brings me back to my original question - how come your triggers were still working when the data was not changing unless TPD was doing it which I assume was still working - and how does my log file make no ref to Birdman Bob at 1.01 and your log file does ?
It was a manual trigger, not based on price. TPD data was still flowing. From what I could see it was purely price and matched bet data that froze. Yours is a Bet Angel stored value so will reflect the frozen prices that Bet Angel was showing. Mine was an actual bet placed at 1.01 which was left unmatched when it hit the market because the real price at that moment was no-offers.
Last question ?
How were you able to place a 'manual' bet - did you switch to 'polling' ?
User avatar
jamesedwards
Posts: 2532
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:16 pm

Bobajob wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:22 pm
jamesedwards wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:14 pm
Bobajob wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:06 pm


Looks like Betfair data froze 8 secs after race started 14:15:33

20/11/2023 14:15:41: [G_Auto 1] : Store Value (Shared) for Birdman Bob: BP = 8.8

Which brings me back to my original question - how come your triggers were still working when the data was not changing unless TPD was doing it which I assume was still working - and how does my log file make no ref to Birdman Bob at 1.01 and your log file does ?
It was a manual trigger, not based on price. TPD data was still flowing. From what I could see it was purely price and matched bet data that froze. Yours is a Bet Angel stored value so will reflect the frozen prices that Bet Angel was showing. Mine was an actual bet placed at 1.01 which was left unmatched when it hit the market because the real price at that moment was no-offers.
Last question ?
How were you able to place a 'manual' bet - did you switch to 'polling' ?
No. I was only ever using streaming. It seems data was running from BA to BF, but not from BF to BA.
User avatar
Bobajob
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun May 21, 2023 9:13 pm

jamesedwards wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:08 pm
Bobajob wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:22 pm
jamesedwards wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:14 pm


It was a manual trigger, not based on price. TPD data was still flowing. From what I could see it was purely price and matched bet data that froze. Yours is a Bet Angel stored value so will reflect the frozen prices that Bet Angel was showing. Mine was an actual bet placed at 1.01 which was left unmatched when it hit the market because the real price at that moment was no-offers.
Last question ?
How were you able to place a 'manual' bet - did you switch to 'polling' ?
No. I was only ever using streaming. It seems data was running from BA to BF, but not from BF to BA.
Interesting. Thanks
User avatar
Derek27
Posts: 24064
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

Unable to set bets to keep in play. I tried on both, BA and the Betfair website, the transaction gets rejected.
tryingtotrade
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:34 pm

What would be the best way to get alerted about API issues, cant be checking the forum all the time?
User avatar
ODPaul82
Posts: 708
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 6:32 am
Location: Knebworth, Herts

tryingtotrade wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:10 pm
What would be the best way to get alerted about API issues, cant be checking the forum all the time?
https://status.developer.betfair.com/

if I feel there's a problem I can quickly open it as have it set as a bookmark
User avatar
gstar1975
Posts: 664
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:59 am

ODPaul82 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:07 pm
tryingtotrade wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:10 pm
What would be the best way to get alerted about API issues, cant be checking the forum all the time?
https://status.developer.betfair.com/

if I feel there's a problem I can quickly open it as have it set as a bookmark
But in this instance the status was green across the board. I kept checking it. If I see the prices freeze that's a big sign that somethings playing up. But if your already in a trade your f.c.u.kayed.
User avatar
The Silk Run
Posts: 978
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 12:53 am
Location: United Kingdom

gstar1975 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:20 am
ODPaul82 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:07 pm
tryingtotrade wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:10 pm
What would be the best way to get alerted about API issues, cant be checking the forum all the time?
https://status.developer.betfair.com/

if I feel there's a problem I can quickly open it as have it set as a bookmark
But in this instance the status was green across the board. I kept checking it. If I see the prices freeze that's a big sign that somethings playing up. But if your already in a trade your f.c.u.kayed.
Personally, l would NOT use Betfair developer status portal. In my experience it is not real time and unreliable !!!!
sniffer66
Posts: 1704
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 8:37 am

My first thought would be a check via the BA API, as then you could code an smtp\telegram alert etc
tryingtotrade
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:34 pm

sniffer66 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:41 am
My first thought would be a check via the BA API, as then you could code an smtp\telegram alert etc
I just have Guardian running all day, so yesterday for example I wasn’t aware of the problem.
You’d be able to forward the alert you made? No idea how to do that. Thank you
sniffer66
Posts: 1704
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 8:37 am

tryingtotrade wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:45 am
sniffer66 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:41 am
My first thought would be a check via the BA API, as then you could code an smtp\telegram alert etc
I just have Guardian running all day, so yesterday for example I wasn’t aware of the problem.
You’d be able to forward the alert you made? No idea how to do that. Thank you
I haven't done it as yet, was just an idea. I'll have a look and see if there's anything that might highlight an issue with the BF API. I'll post it up if I come up with something
User avatar
jamesedwards
Posts: 2532
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:16 pm

sniffer66 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:49 am
tryingtotrade wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:45 am
sniffer66 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:41 am
My first thought would be a check via the BA API, as then you could code an smtp\telegram alert etc
I just have Guardian running all day, so yesterday for example I wasn’t aware of the problem.
You’d be able to forward the alert you made? No idea how to do that. Thank you
I haven't done it as yet, was just an idea. I'll have a look and see if there's anything that might highlight an issue with the BF API. I'll post it up if I come up with something
For those of us who just use Guardian, if there was an email or text option added to the 'Alert' rule type in Guardian then it would be easy to set something up that sends a message when API is stuttering.
User avatar
Bobajob
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun May 21, 2023 9:13 pm

jamesedwards wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:19 am
sniffer66 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:49 am
tryingtotrade wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:45 am


I just have Guardian running all day, so yesterday for example I wasn’t aware of the problem.
You’d be able to forward the alert you made? No idea how to do that. Thank you
I haven't done it as yet, was just an idea. I'll have a look and see if there's anything that might highlight an issue with the BF API. I'll post it up if I come up with something
For those of us who just use Guardian, if there was an email or text option added to the 'Alert' rule type in Guardian then it would be easy to set something up that sends a message when API is stuttering.
Only solution is to do what Wilf did
User avatar
Bobajob
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun May 21, 2023 9:13 pm

Bobajob wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:25 pm
jamesedwards wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:19 am
sniffer66 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:49 am


I haven't done it as yet, was just an idea. I'll have a look and see if there's anything that might highlight an issue with the BF API. I'll post it up if I come up with something
For those of us who just use Guardian, if there was an email or text option added to the 'Alert' rule type in Guardian then it would be easy to set something up that sends a message when API is stuttering.
Only solution is to do what Wilf did
i.e win your losses back on the next race, or the next race after that, or the next race after that..... and at the end of the day, week, month or year hope you have won more than you have lost.
Post Reply

Return to “Betfair Exchange API”