General Election 2019 (UK)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Naffman

TBF twitter is 90% lefties
dragontrades

Those queues are massive though
superfrank

Naffman wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:41 pm
Only 90%?!
superfrank

Naffman

superfrank wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:52 pm
Naffman wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:41 pm
Only 90%?!
:lol:
LeTiss

When you go on Twitter you see that Labour voters have a viscous, nasty streak in them. Unpleasant people

This is what a Corbyn supporter sent a Tory last night (whose husband had recently commited suicide)
ELiU279X0AQoOSi.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

Twitter seems to be a younger persons thing and I'd imagine most would be on the attack. I'd imagine any right leaning twitter users are probably not even commenting.

I don't think you can read much into social media tbf. It's obvious that Corbyn etc. are not running their twitter accounts.
Euler

I do wonder where social media is going. Can you imagine a campaign say 30 years ago like the modern ones?

Anybody can say anything they want and facts are really out the window nowadays. It's just a question of hitting hot buttons and deflecting the truth.

I wonder whether social media should require people should do a KYC or something so that people can be held accountable for comments they make. Or at least make an attempt to verify a person. It just doesn't seem like it's headed for a good place.

I can see why people say democracy is under threat from these platforms. Maybe I'm just getting old :lol:
Euler

I dutched the high turnout market and the market seems to be leaning in that direction, but not much. If it moves further into profit I may take it.
LeTiss

Euler wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:27 pm
I do wonder where social media is going. Can you imagine a campaign say 30 years ago like the modern ones?

Anybody can say anything they want and facts are really out the window nowadays. It's just a question of hitting hot buttons and deflecting the truth.

I wonder whether social media should require people should do a KYC or something so that people can be held accountable for comments they make. Or at least make an attempt to verify a person. It just doesn't seem like it's headed for a good place.

I can see why people say democracy is under threat from these platforms. Maybe I'm just getting old :lol:
Social media are breeding grounds for creating movements - I don't think Brexit would have happened without social media, and I don't think this dangerous turn to Corbyn would either
megarain

If the polls give a definitive prediction, thinking about either buying/selling cable.

It was a great play on referendum night.

Anyone got any views .. sorta thinking mkts will be moved, but not by forecasts. Might be a small edge.

(Son been knocking on doors for one of the parties. His view is that people want Brexit done, and Cons is the fastest way to achieve that, so
they will win, thou people not really happy)

Bit of a mess really.
dragontrades

Johnson big majority makes no deal more likely after transition so maybe a small tory majority would be best for cable?
Euler

I thought more uncertainty would tank cable and more certainty support it. A Con maj would surely mean a better economy and sterling on the rise?
superfrank

megarain wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:49 pm
If the polls give a definitive prediction, thinking about either buying/selling cable.

It was a great play on referendum night.
I imagine they'll be a bit of a relief rally with a Tory majority but maybe a lot is already baked in.

On referendum night the £ was trashed not just because of the result, but because the markets knew that Carney would react by slashing rates and printing (and he duly obliged next morning). I suspect the BoE would want to react to a Corbyn PM result, but I don't think they'd dare do anything for political reasons.
Last edited by superfrank on Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Euler

dragontrades wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:55 pm
Johnson big majority makes no deal more likely after transition so maybe a small tory majority would be best for cable?
Despite his many failings, I'm not sure he could realistically go for a no-deal even with a decent majority?

Maybe use it as a threat to the EU for a trade deal, but I'm not sure many would forgive him if he did?

Return to “Political betting & arguing”