Enhancing Safety Measures During Betfair Technical Issues

Help improve Bet Angel.
lotora

It would be great if Bet Angel could implement a condition to address the connection to Betfair, similar to TPD's 'Race information contains a Data Accuracy Warning.' This feature would be incredibly beneficial, as it could prevent significant financial losses when Betfair experiences technical issues.

For instance, I recently encountered a situation where my automation placed back bets that did not meet my conditions, resulting in bets at ridiculously low odds and stakes many times higher than set by the parameters.

Having a condition to halt trading during technical discrepancies would provide an extra layer of security for all users.

Does anyone from Bet Angel know if this is possible, or could you contact Betfair to explore what could be done?
ForFolksSake

lotora wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:24 am
It would be great if Bet Angel could implement a condition to address the connection to Betfair, similar to TPD's 'Race information contains a Data Accuracy Warning.' This feature would be incredibly beneficial, as it could prevent significant financial losses when Betfair experiences technical issues.

For instance, I recently encountered a situation where my automation placed back bets that did not meet my conditions, resulting in bets at ridiculously low odds and stakes many times higher than set by the parameters.

Having a condition to halt trading during technical discrepancies would provide an extra layer of security for all users.

Does anyone from Bet Angel know if this is possible, or could you contact Betfair to explore what could be done?
As an extra safety measure you could put a profit condition in your rules which stops placing bets if you go below a certain profit eg -£100
lotora

ForFolksSake wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 11:32 am
lotora wrote:

As an extra safety measure you could put a profit condition in your rules which stops placing bets if you go below a certain profit eg -£100
That's a good idea, which I already use, but when there's a technical issue, there's a risk it won't help. I have also set my Betfair's Current Loss Limit to £200 per day. However, this limit is too restrictive for a whole day of trading. It would be great if there was an option to measure losses per single race or selection instead.
Anbell

lotora wrote:
Are we sure that the bets did not meet your conditions?
lotora

Anbell wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 12:03 pm
lotora wrote:
Yes! For instance, I have conditions set for the number of matched and unmatched bets to be zero, and also to avoid placing back bets at odds below a certain limit, it was actually set to minimum 4.0. Despite these precautions, the bets were placed at odds far below and with stakes much higher than. Here's the bot, but I have hidden or changed some information to avoid giving away too much. I have also attached info about the bets placed and the bets matched. The liability per greyhound was set to only £10 (edited from £5)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lotora on Wed May 22, 2024 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamesedwards

lotora wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 12:18 pm
Anbell wrote:
lotora wrote:
Yes! For instance, I have conditions set for the number of matched and unmatched bets to be zero, and also to avoid placing back bets at odds below a certain limit, it was actually set to minimum 4.0. Despite these precautions, the bets were placed at odds far below and with stakes much higher than. Here's the bot, but I have hidden or changed some information to avoid giving away too much. I have also attached info about the bets placed and the bets matched. The liability per greyhound was set to only £5.
It was set to £10.

£111.11 @ 1.09 is £10.

The problem was likely with the market or Betfair as presumably at some point the reverse odds were (or listed in the API as) 1.09
jamesedwards

lotora wrote:

Agreed, it would be very useful to have a flag in BA that identifies there has been some disruption of data flow.
lotora

jamesedwards wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 2:20 pm
lotora wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 12:18 pm
Anbell wrote:

Yes! For instance, I have conditions set for the number of matched and unmatched bets to be zero, and also to avoid placing back bets at odds below a certain limit, it was actually set to minimum 4.0. Despite these precautions, the bets were placed at odds far below and with stakes much higher than. Here's the bot, but I have hidden or changed some information to avoid giving away too much. I have also attached info about the bets placed and the bets matched. The liability per greyhound was set to only £5.
It was set to £10.

£111.11 @ 1.09 is £10.

The problem was likely with the market or Betfair as presumably at some point the reverse odds were (or listed in the API as) 1.09
Yes! £10 is correct!
lotora

jamesedwards wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 2:22 pm
lotora wrote:

Agreed, it would be very useful to have a flag in BA that identifies there has been some disruption of data flow.
What a great idea! ;)
jamesedwards

lotora wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 11:37 am
ForFolksSake wrote:
lotora wrote:

That's a good idea, which I already use, but when there's a technical issue, there's a risk it won't help. I have also set my Betfair's Current Loss Limit to £200 per day. However, this limit is too restrictive for a whole day of trading. It would be great if there was an option to measure losses per single race or selection instead.
Rather than unnecessarily restricting your daily Betfair loss allowance you can restrict your Betfair 'exposure limit' by contacting their customer services, or do it on Bet Angel using 'maximum liability' under the 'staking' tab in settings.

And if you're going to persist in staking in that manner then I strongly recommend you add the Book% conditions to avoid placing bets when odds are at such a low value which can happen in exceptional circumstances.
lotora

jamesedwards wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 2:27 pm
lotora wrote:
ForFolksSake wrote:

Rather than unnecessarily restricting your daily Betfair loss allowance you can restrict your Betfair 'exposure limit' by contacting their customer services, or do it on Bet Angel using 'maximum liability' under the 'staking' tab in settings.
Thanks a lot!
ForFolksSake

lotora wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 2:33 pm
jamesedwards wrote:
lotora wrote:

Thanks a lot!
would be great if there was an option to measure losses per single race or selection instead.
You could run 6 instances of BA for each GH race and use the 'Profit' condition
The Silk Run

I must say you do have a lot of patience Lotora which I hope translates into your day to day trading activity.
Far, far more patience than me. I'm like the Gaza Strip !!!

Jai Yin Yin Nah ;)
lotora

jamesedwards wrote:
lotora wrote:
ForFolksSake wrote:

And if you're going to persist in staking in that manner then I strongly recommend you add the Book% conditions to avoid placing bets when odds are at such a low value which can happen in exceptional circumstances.
Using the 'maximum liability' setting under the 'staking' tab in Bet Angel does help manage risk, but it also has its drawbacks. By lowering it, you risk exceeding your maximum liability, which could prevent you from closing or hedging a bet effectively.
jamesedwards

lotora wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 2:54 pm
jamesedwards wrote:
lotora wrote:

Using the 'maximum liability' setting under the 'staking' tab in Bet Angel does help manage risk, but it also has its drawbacks. By lowering it, you risk exceeding your maximum liability, which could prevent you from closing or hedging a bet effectively.
Of course. One more idea, you can move money you don't want to risk into another Betfair wallet. I think most people tend to use the poker wallet for this.

Return to “Suggestions”