Avoiding multiple liability when re-applying a rule

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
fishtownraider

Thanks again, Anbell. I think it was also the 'Clear Markets' instruction on the coupon that was problematical (see above), but one way or another the shortcut seems to be working as it should now. All I need to do now is figure out how to automate the application of a rule when Guardian adds a new market to the markets list.
Anbell

fishtownraider wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:58 am
Thanks again, Anbell. I think it was also the 'Clear Markets' instruction on the coupon that was problematical (see above), but one way or another the shortcut seems to be working as it should now. All I need to do now is figure out how to automate the application of a rule when Guardian adds a new market to the markets list.
I havent been following this too closely, but it seems unnecessarily complicated at first glance. My process is 1) add new markets 2) apply rules to all markets.

That works for me, but might not for you for reasons that I didnt pick up. (I do clear up the list every week or so)
jamesedwards

Anbell wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 11:53 am
fishtownraider wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:58 am
I havent been following this too closely, but it seems unnecessarily complicated at first glance. My process is 1) add new markets 2) apply rules to all markets.

That works for me, but might not for you for reasons that I didnt pick up. (I do clear up the list every week or so)
Every time the OP was adding new markets they were clearing and re-adding all existing markets also. Therefore their rulesfile was triggering new bets before Guardian registered that bets were already there. All they needed to do was to select 'dont clear' when adding new markets and problem should be resolved.
fishtownraider

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the way Guardian works, but the situation I'm attempting to describe has nothing to do with updating the list of markets when I first open it. That all works fine now I've changed my coupon rule to 'Don't clear', and my rules file places a lay order on every market in the list that doesn't already have one via the shortcut profile I've created to open up Guardian. The problem I have concerns the new markets that are formed on Betfair while Guardian is running. (I don't know why these only appear later; perhaps there is insufficient liquidity or something, or perhaps Guardian just doesn't pick them all up first time round, but there are definitely fixtures without lay orders that appear throughout the day.) As I understand it, Guardian automatically refreshes the list specified in the sidebar and adds any new fixtures to the markets list, but, of course, does not automatically apply my rules file to them. (This is to be expected - not every user will want a position to be taken on every market; it just so happens that I do want that.) So what I'm trying to find is an automation that will apply my rules file whenever a new market appears on the list, or an automation that will re-run my shortcut file at, say, hourly intervals, so that I can just walk away for the day knowing that I won't miss any opportunities.

EDIT: Yes, I think I'm crediting Guardian with being cleverer than it is. It looks as though the only way to get the recently formed markets onto the markets list is to hit 'Find Markets' on the coupon and the 'Add & Apply', so what I was asking for above doesn't seem to be possible. I haven't looked into Servants yet, though. Perhaps there will be something there that I can use to do stuff in my absence. Sorry if I've muddied the waters and thanks for your help.
jamesedwards

fishtownraider wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 3:27 pm
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the way Guardian works, but the situation I'm attempting to describe has nothing to do with updating the list of markets when I first open it. That all works fine now I've changed my coupon rule to 'Don't clear', and my rules file places a lay order on every market in the list that doesn't already have one via the shortcut profile I've created to open up Guardian. The problem I have concerns the new markets that are formed on Betfair while Guardian is running. (I don't know why these only appear later; perhaps there is insufficient liquidity or something, or perhaps Guardian just doesn't pick them all up first time round, but there are definitely fixtures without lay orders that appear throughout the day.) As I understand it, Guardian automatically refreshes the list specified in the sidebar and adds any new fixtures to the markets list, but, of course, does not automatically apply my rules file to them. (This is to be expected - not every user will want a position to be taken on every market; it just so happens that I do want that.) So what I'm trying to find is an automation that will apply my rules file whenever a new market appears on the list, or an automation that will re-run my shortcut file at, say, hourly intervals, so that I can just walk away for the day knowing that I won't miss any opportunities.

EDIT: Yes, I think I'm crediting Guardian with being cleverer than it is. It looks as though the only way to get the recently formed markets onto the markets list is to hit 'Find Markets' on the coupon and the 'Add & Apply', so what I was asking for above doesn't seem to be possible. I haven't looked into Servants yet, though. Perhaps there will be something there that I can use to do stuff in my absence. Sorry if I've muddied the waters and thanks for your help.
FYI - New markets will appear earlier if you refresh markets in the market selection tab first, before using the find markets button.

As I understand it Betfair does not allow Bet Angel to automatically refresh and add markets due to pressure on their system. You would have to build some sort of script to do it without any manual intervention.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”