Do rules persist if removed?

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
fishtownraider

My football rules file first places a fixed-price lay order but removes it if it remains unmatched after X minutes in play. If I I apply the file to selected items my markets list in Guardian and then remove it (Automation > Remove rules (selected markets)), will the second part of the rule still fire after 60 min if Guardian is still running, or do I have to keep the rule in the Automation Rules column for that to happen?
eightbo

If it's a cancel unmatched bets rule it won't fire, however FoK might work if it allows you to go up that high, but not sure (e.g. 60 * 60) = FoK 3600 seconds

There is also Automation Rules File 2/3/4/5 if you weren't aware, which may suit your needs

Would suggest to make a basic test rules file
e.g. Place back bet offer 20 ticks above best current offer, set FoK to 30-60sec in Parameters tab, remove rules file manually after bet is placed, watch to see if it removes

Watch in the ladder to see if bet gets removed, but make sure the market is still being refreshed in Guardian during the time of the cancel
fishtownraider

eightbo wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 12:51 pm
If it's a cancel unmatched bets rule it won't fire, however FoK might work if it allows you to go up that high, but not sure (e.g. 60 * 60) = FoK 3600 seconds

There is also Automation Rules File 2/3/4/5 if you weren't aware, which may suit your needs

Would suggest to make a basic test rules file
e.g. Place back bet offer 20 ticks above best current offer, set FoK to 30-60sec in Parameters tab, remove rules file manually after bet is placed, watch to see if it removes

Watch in the ladder to see if bet gets removed, but make sure the market is still being refreshed in Guardian during the time of the cancel
Thanks for responding. As I understand it, FoK activates from the time the rule fires rather than when the event goes in play (perhaps I'm wrong), but I'm placing orders well in advance. I'll do some experimenting, though.
Last edited by fishtownraider on Mon May 27, 2024 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishtownraider

MemphisFlash wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 1:05 pm
does a bear shit in the woods if he has no ass
Depends if he's a smartass, I guess. The question concerns whether Guardian 'remembers' rules that have been triggered, not whether they will run in Guardian's absence.
jimibt

fishtownraider wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 2:36 pm
MemphisFlash wrote:
Depends if he's a smartass, I guess. The question concerns whether Guardian 'remembers' rules that have been triggered, not whether they will run in Guardian's absence.
lol, agree. not really the kind of answer you needed and not very unhelpful. sounds like a grumpy bear out there in the woods today! :roll:

in answer to your question, you'll unfortunately need to be aware that the rule must remain applied until all conditions/rules on that market have been met.
fishtownraider

jimibt wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 3:21 pm
fishtownraider wrote:
MemphisFlash wrote:
lol, agree. not really the kind of answer you needed and not very unhelpful. sounds like a grumpy bear out there in the woods today! :roll:

in answer to your question, you'll unfortunately need to be aware that the rule must remain applied until all conditions/rules on that market have been met.
Thank you kindly. The reason I was asking is that I can have several hundred markets in the list, and if I forget to remove the rules before closing Guardian then the next time I open it, it starts reapplying the lay orders in my rules file before it's had time to cycle through them and realise that there's an unmatched bets condition attached, which means I end up with 2 lay orders instead of 1 in hundreds of markets (I haven't yet found a way to stop the cycle once it starts) and have to cancel them all and start again. An automation to remove rules and close would be good, but I can't see a Close Guardian option in any of the rules or shortcut options. I'll just have to be more careful, I suppose. :roll:
jamesedwards

fishtownraider wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 4:35 pm
jimibt wrote:
fishtownraider wrote:

Thank you kindly. The reason I was asking is that I can have several hundred markets in the list, and if I forget to remove the rules before closing Guardian then the next time I open it, it starts reapplying the lay orders in my rules file before it's had time to cycle through them and realise that there's an unmatched bets condition attached, which means I end up with 2 lay orders instead of 1 in hundreds of markets (I haven't yet found a way to stop the cycle once it starts) and have to cancel them all and start again. An automation to remove rules and close would be good, but I can't see a Close Guardian option in any of the rules or shortcut options. I'll just have to be more careful, I suppose. :roll:
Change the rule that puts up your lay bets to trigger from 60 secs after 'first rule to trigger'. This gives Guardian enough time to complete a cycle before applying bets so should stop it from double laying.

Separately, it's worth having a rules file saved that does nothing but cancel all unmatched bets.
fishtownraider

jamesedwards wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 4:50 pm
fishtownraider wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 4:35 pm
jimibt wrote:

Change the rule that puts up your lay bets to trigger from 60 secs after 'first rule to trigger'. This gives Guardian enough time to complete a cycle before applying bets so should stop it from double laying.

Separately, it's worth having a rules file saved that does nothing but cancel all unmatched bets.
That could work. The lay bet is the first rule to trigger, though. What I'd need is an opening rule that actually does nothing at all. Perhaps I could just set some sort of signal to achieve this? (Good advice re making a rule to cancel all unmatched bets; that was one of the first things I did once the double-laying started - I'd have been up all night otherwise :lol:).

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”