RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
jimibt

the riot in dublin last night is a worryingly stark example of the proliferation of misinformation on social media and the right wing ideology going on both socially and politically worldwide:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-67512628
Last edited by jimibt on Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archery1969

jimibt wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:07 pm
this riot in dublin last night is a ridiculous example of misinformation on social media and the worrying proliferation of right wing ideology going on socially and politically almost worldwide:

Having served in the north and marrying someone in the south, i have to admit, was truley shocked at those Dublin scenes. I not 100% sure you can blame the right wing or social media in total.

Living on the south coast of England I have seen many examples of anger in the local community. Its only a matter of time before someone or many take the law into their own hands. We already had fisherman that where blocking lifeboat launches to help those in distress.

I often walk my dog along the cliff tops and see people at random locations shinning tourches out to sea. What exactly are they doing, many down here believe they are provding points of reference for those coming via boats. I have no idea if thats true or not as I dont normally stick around for too long. But I have seen one of them getting a serious kicking by locals, who were not just using their fists etc.

I not sure what the answer is as you will have those who say Ireland/UK needs all the migration it needs and others saying not on my watch etc.

I didn't attend but there was a local meeting lastnight of 300+ people at the local community centre on how to deal with these people shinning tourches. Hopefully the Police attended and will keep an eye on the situation but I somehow thing they did not or wont bother.
Derek27

That line of code that seemingly has no purpose, but you dare not remove it, it must have a reason for existing or you wouldn't have written it!
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:24 pm
jimibt wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:07 pm
this riot in dublin last night is a ridiculous example of misinformation on social media and the worrying proliferation of right wing ideology going on socially and politically almost worldwide:

Having served in the north and marrying someone in the south, i have to admit, was truley shocked at those Dublin scenes. I not 100% sure you can blame the right wing or social media in total.

Living on the south coast of England I have seen many examples of anger in the local community. Its only a matter of time before someone or many take the law into their own hands. We already had fisherman that where blocking lifeboat launches to help those in distress.

I often walk my dog along the cliff tops and see people at random locations shinning tourches out to sea. What exactly are they doing, many down here believe they are provding points of reference for those coming via boats. I have no idea if thats true or not as I dont normally stick around for too long. But I have seen one of them getting a serious kicking by locals, who were not just using their fists etc.

I not sure what the answer is as you will have those who say Ireland/UK needs all the migration it needs and others saying not on my watch etc.

I didn't attend but there was a local meeting lastnight of 300+ people at the local community centre on how to deal with these people shinning tourches. Hopefully the Police attended and will keep an eye on the situation but I somehow thing they did not or wont bother.
What the hell is going on over there?
This stuff is the polar opposite of my 63 year old view of Ireland and Dublin.
Derek27

Army called in to assist the police. I hope they're instructed to shoot to kill. :)
Derek27

A woman who was banned from driving for a year for nudging protestors out of the way with her Land Rover has had a reunion with the protestor and they ended up hugging each other!

I would have flipping strangled her and finished the job. :lol:
Derek27

Setting fire to park benches was a bit of fun in my youth, but what sort of mentality does it take to burn cars and buses?

Do they even think of next year's council tax bill?
Derek27

I've had quite a few free bets tonight on the OU markets, most at odds-on. Not a single one has come in!
Derek27

I've got a cold for the first time in 3 years. I thought the cold virus died out along with Covid.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:02 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:30 pm
greenmark wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:12 pm

That sounds like a fox to me. Is this a big green wheelie bin or one of those dinky 1ft high jobs?
It's a food waste bin, about 18 inches high. But it was locked and I've never seen a fox around my area.
A human would surely not leave a mess behind. Could be a fox or a badger even.
A strong animal of some sort.
Webcam time Derek!!! :-) You could be the next Chris Packham. :-)
Sadly, I am as fascinated by this as your nutty stormchasing neighbour is with lightning.
Mystery solved; I heard it go over last night - it was the wind! :D
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:00 pm
greenmark wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:30 pm

It's a food waste bin, about 18 inches high. But it was locked and I've never seen a fox around my area.
Sadly, I am as fascinated by this as your nutty stormchasing neighbour is with lightning.
Ah. Right. Buildings can create weird vortexes....vortices? Where I live the buildings are able to turn the wind direction 180 degrees or funnel the wind so it becomes much stronger. Maybe a concrete block on top of the bin might work. I've seen that more than once, so it must be a fairly common phenomenon.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:39 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:00 pm
greenmark wrote:

Ah. Right. Buildings can create weird vortexes....vortices? Where I live the buildings are able to turn the wind direction 180 degrees or funnel the wind so it becomes much stronger. Maybe a concrete block on top of the bin might work. I've seen that more than once, so it must be a fairly common phenomenon.
There was a council somewhere where the bin men were armed with measuring tapes. If a bin was overfilled by more than one inch they would refuse to empty it, so I'm not sure if they'd be willing to go to the trouble of removing a brick sitting on the bin. :)

I think I'll just leave it on its side in future.
Derek27

I watched a short video the other day about the torture and execution of a Nazi commander, and now every time I visit YouTube I'm bombarded with torture videos, FFS.
Derek27

I've been held up for three minutes by a tattily dressed woman spending £30 on lottery tickets. That money would be better spent on clothes. Where are the affordability checks?
greenmark

I complain about weather forecasts.
But freezing rain is forecast. This is a genuine hazard. Snow, ice visibly announce themselves.
Frozen rain is basically an undetectable skating rink.
Be very careful..

Return to “General discussion”