VPS Memory and Excel questions..

User to User support only. For technical support visit www.betangel.com/support/
Nero Tulip

Apologies, I feel these question has probably been asked before, but I can't find it. I'm considering subscribing to the VPS version, I have 2 questions.

Has anyone ever had any problems speed or memory wise, whilst running complex excel spreadsheets ?

Secondly, does the server have Excel 2010 on it ? Or would I need to buy a copy and install it ?

Thanks for your help.
PeterLe

Hi NT
I have had no problems (speed or memory wise) on the Betangel VPS.
I have run spreadsheets with multiple worksheets open (Via Guardian)..and I've also ran two copies of BA (from diff directories) both with excel attached, that ran fine too, although memory was around 90% utilised from what I can remember, CPU hammered too.
Dont forget to use the BA server edition if you use the BA VPS as it is slightly 'tuned' specifically.
Thanks
Peter
JollyGreen

I've never had any problems with excel on a VPS, even the lower grade one.

It will not have Excel on it so you need your own licence. The easiest way to get it on the VPS is to download the trial from Microsoft and then use your own licence key to activate it.
Nero Tulip

OK, thanks chaps.

I'm signed up and my VPS is ready to rumble, however I have hit a snag that probably has a simple and easy solution.

I am trying to put excel on it, and I can't. I follow the link on the machine to download it, I have to sign into my microsoft purchasing account, it gives me a key and I go to run the exe to install it. However when I go to run it, it says that it will only work on XP, Vista or windows 7 (I think). So I cannot get this installed, is there a work around?

There are versions that are made to go on servers, such as Office 2010 Standard or Professional Plus, but these are volume licenses, probably dealing in hundreds of licenses rather than the one that I require.

I don't see a way to get this downloaded and use a key that I have already.
Nero Tulip

I appear to have worked this out.

For anyone else confused, I found an order lookup page for an old order for excel 2010 I made for another computer, clearly this had a license that allowed me to install it more than once.

From this order lookup it had the download link again and I was able to activate it (hopefully, not tried it fully yet).

I am still none the wiser how you would do this without a previous order.

Return to “Support”