No money to match my orders

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
convoysur-2

Hi Lee
Thanks for the heads up on that,i dont understand what your saying,but im trying to get my head around it.
Marc
convoysur-2

ok so basically if i double the amount in front of me and add that number to the amount in the traded columb it will give me the true figure at which my money will be taken ??
marc
convoysur-2

so my money should be taken at 549.000 and not 489.000 as i thought,,,i think i have it now ?
Marc
mugsgame

Marc,
I don't think your figures are correct.
The way BF display the matching isn't as it seems. If 10000 is displayed as matched, they take that figure 50% from the Back side and 50% from the lay side. So in reality only 5000 has in effect been matched. This might explain?

I think we all agree that there needs to be some transparency about how where the money is and how it gets matched. I suspect more and more of us are becoming increasingly suspicious about integrity issues.
cosmicspin7

spreadbetting wrote:I think these days most money is being matched by x-matching at source that so little money actually crosses the spread meaning fill rates are slow at certain prices.

I have quite a bit of automated stuff and sometimes will leapfrog best price to get matched, can't be certain but plenty of times it appears I get matched at the price I requested rather than best execution price. For example best price is 5.6 I see my bot place a bet at 5.5 and get instantly get matched at 5.5 despite plenty being available at 5.6 or even 5.7. Hard to prove x matching is picking off prices at source and avoiding best execution but happening far too often for me to write off as my own paranoia.

I've noticed this this week on the snooker. I've laid say 1.20, and am taking little bits out on the way up. Theres money to match at say 1.55, I decide to take some and put an order in. While waiting for the in-play delay an order appears at 1.58, but when I check I've been matched at 1.55. The first few times I thought maybe I'd just missed it, but its been happening far to often to be a blip. If you're paranoid then I am too :lol:
convoysur-2

ok i got matched at 540.500 ill have a good look at it to night when i have time ,thanks again lee for your help.
Marc
spreadbetting

In simple terms, for a £100 bet to be fully matched betfair would treat the traded amount as being £200 made up of £100 backers stake and £100 layers stake.
Euler

SP is shocking today!
andyfuller

LeTiss 4pm wrote:No, that's wrong Marc

BF count each £1 matched as £2 traded on the total figure, due to £1 being matched on both sides of the book. There would need to be £114k added to the volume figure before yours started to be taken
No LeTiss that is wrong as well.

Hopefully I will get this explanation correct:

That used to be correct and still is for the overall market but for indivdual selections it is incorrect since the introduction of XM.

The reason being that the back and lay could be done on 2 or more different selections.

For example back selection A for £100 and £50 is matched against opposing bets on selection A but the other £50 could be XM'd against say 5 other selections for lets say £10 each to keep it simple.

So in the past before XM selection A's total amount matched would go up by £200 but now selection A's total amount matched would go up by only £150

Selection B, C, D, E and F all go up by £10 each

Total amount matched on the market has gone up still by only £200.

Hope that explains it.

Edit:

Forgot to add:

Also the amount matched on your selection could go up but you move no closer to the front of the queue. The reason being that lets say you were trying to back selections B, C, D, E, or F.

The amount matched on these selections will have gone up by £10. This will have come from the Lay side.

In the past if a selection's matched amount goes up by £10 it was £5 from the back side and £5 from the lay side.

But now with XM it can come from just one side.

So in the case above £10 was matched against B, C, D, E and F but this was only matched against the Lay bets, non was matched against the Back bets.

So the total amount matched on B, C, D, E and F has gone up by £10 but you on the back side are no closer to being matched.

So now you can not work out how much is going to be needed to be matched on individual selections in order for your bet in the queue to be matched. All you can do is have a best guess.

Think that completes the explanation and hopefully should put an end to the conspiracy theories that BF are jumping the queue etc etc :D
andyfuller

Anyone is free to copy and paste the above explanation when people ask about amount matched volume. Save others the hassle - especially as few people seem to understand it despite it being like this for quite some time now - or is it just me who has it wrong?
CaerMyrddin

You're spot on Andy, as usual. This changed the way I trade football mostly and in the end meant the margins are slimmer.
convoysur-2

sweet jesus,,thats not easy for me to understand,
ill have to read it like a hundred times.
but thanks andy,
Marc

Return to “Betfair exchange”