Day Trading the close like a Pre-Race Horse Racing market

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
Post Reply
eightbo
Posts: 2352
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 8:19 pm

With Betfair tightening it's grip on customers becoming more restrictive with KYC, internal automotive systems triggering low deposit limits, forced check-ins with the Safer Gambling team, loss limits being applied to winning accounts (myself), and seeing big accounts like megarain get moved on from Betfair.

Despite wanting to scale on Betfair I would not be a true risk manager if I didn't start considering external options just in case (or ideally as a way to further grow Betfair profits which can't go back into the market).

One such idea after a brief bit of research today is trading the close of the major stock indexes.
I have selected the Nikkei in this case as the times work well for me here in Australia.

The graph below shows the rise in volume after the lunch period. As the volume begins to increase and we approach the estimated fair close price for the day (yellow line on graph), I was thinking of using a DOM interface and just get a bit of experience in the market, ultimately trading on feel via one click market orders once up and running, similar to a Pre-Race horse racing market e.g. via Nikkei 225 Mini (futures).

I haven't got much experience in the financial markets but on principal, so long as I can avoid major catalysts it appears viable on the surface. Does anyone have any thoughts on if this seems a reasonable conquest, or have any other alternate suggestions for markets or trading strategies which could be useful for me to consider? I also considered breakout trades on the open but I like the idea of rising volume more.
Screenshot_20261003-211541.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
ForFolksSake
Posts: 1312
Joined: Sat May 11, 2024 2:51 pm

eightbo wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 03, 2026 12:41 pm
With Betfair tightening it's grip on customers becoming more restrictive with KYC, internal automotive systems triggering low deposit limits, forced check-ins with the Safer Gambling team, loss limits being applied to winning accounts (myself), and seeing big accounts like megarain get moved on from Betfair.

Despite wanting to scale on Betfair I would not be a true risk manager if I didn't start considering external options just in case (or ideally as a way to further grow Betfair profits which can't go back into the market).

One such idea after a brief bit of research today is trading the close of the major stock indexes.
I have selected the Nikkei in this case as the times work well for me here in Australia.

The graph below shows the rise in volume after the lunch period. As the volume begins to increase and we approach the estimated fair close price for the day (yellow line on graph), I was thinking of using a DOM interface and just get a bit of experience in the market, ultimately trading on feel via one click market orders once up and running, similar to a Pre-Race horse racing market e.g. via Nikkei 225 Mini (futures).

I haven't got much experience in the financial markets but on principal, so long as I can avoid major catalysts it appears viable on the surface. Does anyone have any thoughts on if this seems a reasonable conquest, or have any other alternate suggestions for markets or trading strategies which could be useful for me to consider? I also considered breakout trades on the open but I like the idea of rising volume more.

Screenshot_20261003-211541.png
... nice bit of research
Post Reply

Return to “Trading Financial markets”